Workload automation and job scheduling are critical to managing IT infrastructure effectively. AutoSys is one of the prominent choices for organizations looking to optimize their operational efficiency. However, as businesses evolve and IT landscapes become more complex, there is a growing demand for alternative workload automation platforms that cater to specific requirements, user preferences, and budgets.
This article explores the top 5 AutoSys alternatives that have emerged as strong contenders in job scheduling and workload automation. These solutions offer an array of features, integrations, and scalability options designed to meet the changing needs of modern enterprises.
Comparison of AutoSys UAC and Top 5 Alternatives
|4.6 based on 246 reviews
|4.7 based on 148 reviews
|4.5 based on 85 reviews
|4.6 based on 162 reviews
|4.4 based on 58 reviews
|4.4 based on 48 reviews
*Ratings are based on Capterra and G2. We sorted companies first by sponsorship level, the vendors with links are sponsors, and then by their ratings and number of reviews.
AutoSys Workload Automation was developed by CA Technologies (acquired by Broadcom in 2018).1 It enables users to automate, manage, and monitor complex job processing across distributed environments. It has been in the market since the 2000s.
AutoSys Workload Automation offers a unified view for managing enterprise workloads. Although its functionalities can be extended with other Broadcom products like Automic Automation and Workload Automation Advanced Integration for Hadoop, users have found that it doesn’t completely satisfy their needs beyond its primary role as a mainframe scheduler.
PeerSpot: 4.1/5 based on 10 reviews.2
G2: 4.4/5 based on 33 reviews.3
TrustRadius: Not available.
- Acts as a single point of contact for all business solutions.
- Handling real-time business events is seamless.
- PeopleSoft, SAP, and Oracle E-business can be managed with AutoSys.
- Features a built-in fault tolerance.
- Report generation is limited. (See Figure 1)
- Lack of cloud integration.
- Focuses heavily on command-line interfaces, which lowers usability.
- After acquiring the company, Broadcom laid off 2,000 of CA Technologies’ 4,837 employees (41% of the workforce).4 This post-merger integration activity may have impacted support and R&D efforts.
- Broadcom has 2 WLA solutions: AutoSys and Automic Automation, so there is a possibility that Autosys and Automic Automation may be merged in the future.
Figure 2: Techincal Analyst’s Review of AutoSys
Top 5 AutoSys Alternatives
ActiveBatch is a workload automation and job scheduling system that allows IT teams to automate cross-platform processes and job chains. ActiveBatch can automate application workflows across the entire IT environment, including multi-cloud and on-premises environments. It has a low-code drag-and-drop UI that does not require extensive technical skills. (See Figure 1)
ActiveBatch features broad support for connecting with enterprise applications and can perform command-line functions without the expense of usability. That means that the existing open-source job schedulers can be managed or consolidated into ActiveBatch.
Figure 1: ActiveBatch UI
PeerSpot: 4.6/5 based on 16 reviews6
G2: 4.6/5 based on 171 Reviews7
TrustRadius: 9.1/10 based on 29 votes8
- ActiveBatch works on nearly any operating system, including Windows, Linux, UNIX, Mac OS, and IBM iSeries AS/400.
- It offers comprehensive scalability and extensibility
- It has a low-code approach which would be attractive to non-technical AutoSys users that want to manage their workflows without relying on a command-line interface.
- Seamless monitoring and managing activities and workflows.
- While integration with third-party tools and systems is available, the process can be developed. 9
- Getting used to the UI and some features and functions requires training.10
- Customization options could be improved.11
Redwood RunMyJobs is a full-stack advanced workload automation platform for mission-critical business processes. RunMyJobs is a SaaS platform designed to automate workloads, enabling users to integrate various systems and data, regardless of the scale or intricacy of their IT environment. With RunMyJobs, users can connect on-premise and private cloud SaaS solutions smoothly. An on-demand free trial is also available.
PeerSpot: 4.8/5 based on 19 reviews.12
G2: 4.7/5 based on 117 Reviews.13
TrustRadius: 9.5/10 based on 28 votes.14
- Customizable workflows
- Setting up resilient parallel and dependent processes
- RunMyJobs can seamlessly link to a number of outside/Legacy systems. There won’t be any delays after the job is booked, therefore disruption of the work.
- Has advanced features like dashboards, logging, and a load balancer.
- Supports all browsers.
- While monitoring and alert services are useful, they could be improved.15
- Reporting features could be more refined.16
See their offerings below:
Stonebranch’s workload automation (WLA) tool, Universal Automation Center (UAC) enables organizations to orchestrate and automate their IT processes, jobs, and tasks across multiple systems and environments. The UAC helps streamline operations, reduce manual intervention, and improve the overall efficiency of IT infrastructure. Some key features of Stonebranch’s UAC include real-time automation, centralized control, and scalability.
PeerSpot:3.8 out of 5 based on 4 reviews.17
G2: 4.5/5 based on 71 reviews.18
TrustRadius: It does not have enough ratings to provide an overall score.
- StoneBranch offers comprehensive automation support for various environments, including cloud, multi-cloud, and on-premise setups.
- It provides the flexibility to enable or disable automation effortlessly, allowing you to establish automation sequences throughout your system.
- StoneBranch excels at consolidating your automation efforts, even in complex network configurations.
- It can be hard to manage the task monitor.
- Universal Automation Center could improve the analytics.
- Their market presence is not up to par with tools such as ActiveBatch, RunMyjobs, etc.
Fortra offers JAMS, a solution for job scheduling and workload automation. This software assists organizations in automating, overseeing, and tracking jobs and tasks across diverse platforms, applications, and systems.
Fortra’s JAMS enables users to generate, execute, and monitor job streams and workflows, ensuring precise and timely completion of all tasks. It supports multiple platforms such as Windows, UNIX, Linux, and IBM and popular applications like SQL Server, Oracle, and SAP. Figure 2 displays the JAMS User Interface for reference.
Source: Software Advice19
Figure 2: Fortra’s JAMS
PeerSpot: 4.5/5 based on 21 Reviews20
G2: 4.7/5 based on 142 Reviews21
TrustRadius: 7.9/10 based on 43 Reviews.22
- Alerting and notification are comprehensive.
- It has built-in native codeless functions and the ability to launch code in any runtime environment when needed.
- JAMS Scheduler offers robust security measures, including access controls, encryption, and authentication mechanisms, to safeguard sensitive data and prevent unauthorized access. These measures ensure the protection and integrity of critical information, guaranteeing its safety.
- Event-driven automation of JAMS assists organizations in enhancing resource optimization and aligning job execution with business priorities, resulting in improved productivity. This approach enables the efficient utilization of resources.
- Considering its complex configurations, new users might need substantial time to use JAMS Scheduler proficiently.
- For organizations with simpler scheduling requirements or fewer jobs, JAMS Scheduler might be overly feature-rich, making it less suitable compared to more streamlined alternatives.
- It’s Windows-focused software, meaning other operating systems will have difficulties using its client.
5-Control-M by BMC Software
Control-M is a tool for automating workloads designed to streamline the handling of complex IT operations on different platforms, applications, and databases. It offers several notable functionalities, such as a unified control panel, advanced analytics for future predictions, a user-friendly web interface, and seamless integration with widely used applications like Hadoop, Informatica, and SAP.
PeerSpot: 4.4/5 based on 47 reviews.23
G2: 4.4/5 based on 55 reviews.24
TrustRadius: 7.9/10 based on 109 reviews.25
- Businesses can have granularity into the jobs then as access is assigned to users based on their roles, allowing the ability to order the job or maybe even just monitor the progress.
- Using AFT, sending files to customers is automated and can be customized for success, failure, etc., allowing visibility into the process for all involved.
- Control-M provides a single, centralized interface for monitoring and managing all batch processes in the organization.
- Change management for the development cycle.
- Orchestration for batch processes.
- The interface could be improved.
- Installation and upgrades are not seamless.
- Making mass changes requires time and effort.
You can check our comprehensive workload automation list to have access to over 20 vendors with a strong market presence.
Discover other relevant automation platforms through our data-driven and comprehensive benchmarks and vendor lists:
- IT automation software benchmark and +25 vendors list.
- Data warehouse automation software and +10 vendors list.
- Batch scheduling software benchmark and +10 vendors list.
Next to Read
Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.