Most RPA bot development is going on in Windows machines since most corporate end users rely on Windows. However, Linux operating system has particular advantages over MacOS and Windows and RPA can add value to Linux systems as well.
Some of Linux’s advantages over Windows are
- Linux is a open-source operating system
- Linux is considered to be the most stable and resilient operating system and is trusted by enterprises for supporting their core systems
- Linux as minimal hardware requirements and can run a wide range of systems including edge systems
Why use RPA in Linux?
Linux systems come with extensive scripting capabilities and Linux users tend to be technically savy. As a result, repetitive work on Linux systems tends to be automated. However, RPA can have benefits for Linux users as well:
- RPA relies on user interfaces for automation which is an automation approach not widely followed by Linux scripting tools. Linux systems interfacing with legacy systems could benefit from RPA in facilitating integration.
- Using automation tools that cover all available operating systems, companies can reuse their RPA bots across different operating systems and minimize their bot maintenance costs.
RPA tools for Linux
Below table is a list of RPA tools that are compatible with Linux:
|Vendor Name||Company Size (# of employees)||Is it open-source?||Pricing||Highlights|
|Argos Labs||11-50||No||Free trial|
|Automagica||1-10||No||Not available||Automagica is acquired by Netcall plc and it is no longer open- source since October 2020|
|RoboCorp||11-50||Yes||Free if number of users is less than 5|
-requires Tesseract for OCR functionality
|T-Plan||11-50||No||Not available||-14 days free trial
-enables GUI / screen interaction, OCR text extraction & image recognition
|TagUI||-||Yes||Free||-Available under Apache 2.0 license which makes it free for commercial and noncommercial use
-Suitable for OCR (built-in),
UI automation, desktop&
web applications, direct ML model Integration (with API / R code / Python)
|UI.Vision||-||Yes||Free||-Data extraction and screen scraping capabilities
-Produces automation scripts for Windows, Mac, and Linux
For more info on RPA, feel free to read our research on:
- RPA software for macOS
- RPA guide answering all your RPA-related questions
- RPA use cases
- RPA implementation best practices
- Pitfalls to avoid in RPA development
If you still have RPA-related questions, we would like to help:
How can we do better?
Your feedback is valuable. We will do our best to improve our work based on it.