Most RPA bot development is going on in Windows machines since most corporate end users rely on Windows. However, Linux operating system has particular advantages over MacOS and Windows and RPA can add value to Linux systems as well.
Some of Linux’s advantages over Windows are
- Linux is a open-source operating system
- Linux is considered to be the most stable and resilient operating system and is trusted by enterprises for supporting their core systems
- Linux as minimal hardware requirements and can run a wide range of systems including edge systems
Why use RPA in Linux?
Linux systems come with extensive scripting capabilities and Linux users tend to be technically savy. As a result, repetitive work on Linux systems tends to be automated. However, RPA can have benefits for Linux users as well:
- RPA relies on user interfaces for automation which is an automation approach not widely followed by Linux scripting tools. Linux systems interfacing with legacy systems could benefit from RPA in facilitating integration.
- Using automation tools that cover all available operating systems, companies can reuse their RPA bots across different operating systems and minimize their bot maintenance costs.
RPA tools for Linux
Below table is a list of RPA tools that are compatible with Linux:
|Company Size (# of employees)
|Is it open-source?
Automagica is acquired by Netcall plc and it is no longer open- source since October 2020
|Free if number of users is less than 5
-14 days free trial -enables GUI / screen interaction, OCR text extraction & image recognition
-Available under Apache 2.0 license which makes it free for commercial and noncommercial use -Suitable for OCR (built-in), UI automation, desktop& web applications, direct ML model Integration (with API / R code / Python)
-Data extraction and screen scraping capabilities -Produces automation scripts for Windows, Mac, and Linux
For more info on RPA, feel free to read our research on:
- RPA software for macOS
- RPA guide answering all your RPA-related questions
- RPA use cases
- RPA implementation best practices
- Pitfalls to avoid in RPA development
Also, don’t forget to check out our comprehensive and data-driven list of:
If you still have RPA-related questions, we would like to help:
Cem has been the principal analyst at AIMultiple since 2017. AIMultiple informs hundreds of thousands of businesses (as per similarWeb) including 60% of Fortune 500 every month.
Cem's work has been cited by leading global publications including Business Insider, Forbes, Washington Post, global firms like Deloitte, HPE, NGOs like World Economic Forum and supranational organizations like European Commission. You can see more reputable companies and media that referenced AIMultiple.
Throughout his career, Cem served as a tech consultant, tech buyer and tech entrepreneur. He advised businesses on their enterprise software, automation, cloud, AI / ML and other technology related decisions at McKinsey & Company and Altman Solon for more than a decade. He also published a McKinsey report on digitalization.
He led technology strategy and procurement of a telco while reporting to the CEO. He has also led commercial growth of deep tech company Hypatos that reached a 7 digit annual recurring revenue and a 9 digit valuation from 0 within 2 years. Cem's work in Hypatos was covered by leading technology publications like TechCrunch and Business Insider.
Cem regularly speaks at international technology conferences. He graduated from Bogazici University as a computer engineer and holds an MBA from Columbia Business School.
To stay up-to-date on B2B tech & accelerate your enterprise:Follow on
Next to Read
Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.