Though there are various RPA solutions in the market, most of them do not work on macOS. Microsoft is the most common operating system for end users, and most vendors provide solutions that are compatible with Microsoft Windows. According to StatCounter, OS X has the fourth-highest market share (8.25%) in the operating system market.
This article compiled RPA vendors that are compatible with Mac and provided alternative approaches to automate repetitive tasks on your macOS desktop.
RPA tools on Mac
Below table is a list of RPA tools that run on macOS:
|Vendor Name||Company Size (# of Employees)||Is it open-source?||Pricing||Highlights|
|Argos Labs||11-50||No||Not available||-Low-code/RPA software provider
-14 days free trial
-Run bots on PC, Virtual machines, Mobile, Tablets
|Automagica||1-10||No||Not available||-Automagica is acquired by Netcall plc and it is no longer open- source since October 2020|
|Hammerspoon||-||Yes||Free||You can write Lua code that interacts with OS X APIs for applications, windows, mouse pointers, filesystem objects, audio devices, batteries, screens, low-level keyboard/mouse events, clipboards, location services, wifi, and more.|
|Nividous RPA||51-200||No||Not available|
|OneRPA||-||No||Not available||System client is executed natively with no virtualization framework needed|
|RoboCorp||11-50||Yes||Free if number of users is less than 5|
|Robomotion||2-10||Yes||Free: 1 user|
Startups: $19 for 3 users with limited features
Corporate: $19 for 5 users
Enterprise: Custom prices
-requires Tesseract OCR for OCR functionality
|T-Plan||11-50||No||Not available||-14 days free trial
-enables GUI / screen interaction, OCR text extraction & image recognition
|TagUI||-||Yes||Free||Available under Apache 2.0 license which makes it free for commercial and noncommercial use|
|UI.Vision||-||Yes||Free||-Data extraction and screen scraping capabilities
-Produces automation scripts for Windows, Mac, and Linux
Alternative methods for Mac Automation
macOS apps for automation
Automator is an Apple application that comes pre-installed in macOS. Automator Mac app enables desktop automation of repetitive tasks by creating workflows. Thanks to this tool, you can automate activities using the drag and drop interface, facilitating the customization of particular functions for users with no coding skills.
Running MS Windows compatible RPA software on your Apple hardware
Though almost all RPA tools are designed only for Windows operating system, there are ways to run and install them on the Mac operating system. Here are your options for installation:
- Dual boot solutions such as Apple Boot Camp enable you to install a Microsoft Windows operating systems and allow both operating systems to work simultaneously.
- Remote desktop virtualization solutions run on a remote operating system connected to your local Mac device over a network using a remote display protocol. So you can remotely control and run RPA bots on a Windows machine using your macOS device. Solutions you can prefer are:
- Virtual machines such as Parallels and VirtualBox allow users to run a version of Microsoft Windows in a window on Mac.
To learn more about RPA, you can read:
If you are ready to start automating with RPA, feel free to use
- a guide on selecting the right RPA software
- up-to-date and comprehensive list of RPA products
- an in-depth guide for selecting an RPA implementation partner and the comprehensive list of all RPA implementation partners.
And if you still have a question on RPA, we would like to help:
How can we do better?
Your feedback is valuable. We will do our best to improve our work based on it.