Monitoring website changes enables businesses and individuals to stay informed about their updates, track price changes on e-commerce websites, and promptly address any website problems.
However, monitoring website changes can be challenging due to factors like dynamic content and a high volume of changes. Website change monitoring tools allow users to overcome these challenges using proxies and headless browsing.
This article explains website change monitoring, its use cases, and a range of powerful tools that can help streamline the process of tracking changes across web pages.
What is website change monitoring?
Website change monitoring is the process of tracking and identifying changes to specific web pages and notifying users of these changes. This is typically done using website change monitoring tools to track web page changes, such as content updates, design modifications, and structural changes.
Why is website change monitoring important?
Monitoring website changes offers numerous benefits, including:
1. Competitor monitoring
Competitive monitoring tracks changes on competitors’ websites to gain an understanding of their industry landscape and adapt strategies accordingly.
2. Regulatory compliance
It is critical to regularly monitor relevant guidelines and regulations updates to reduce the risk of non-compliance. Website change monitoring helps users stay informed about changes and updates in regulations, allowing them to ensure they adhere to legal requirements.
3. SEO monitoring
Website change monitoring helps users stay informed about changes that impact search engine rankings and optimize their websites accordingly. Website change detection tools also assist users in social media monitoring, enabling them to track brand mentions related to their brand or competitors’ brands on social media platforms.
4. Regression monitoring
Website change monitoring tools help users identify issues after changes are made to a software product or system. It enables users to maintain the quality and stability of web applications.
8 best website change detection & monitoring tools of 2023
Visualping is a website change monitoring tool with over 2 million users including 85% of Fortune 500 companies.
- Visual comparison: Takes periodic screenshots of the monitored web pages and compares them to spot any changes easily.
- Alert notifications: Allow users to set custom alert criteria based on their specific monitoring needs. The platform sends email notifications in real time when changes are detected.
- Business-only version: Monitor changes at scale and send alerts to Email, Slack, Teams, and Google Sheets.
- Integrations: Integrate with collaboration and messaging tools like Slack, Microsoft Teams, and Discord.
- Browser extension: Provide Chrome extension to monitor web changes; however, there is no email alert, and monitoring stops when the computer is turned off.
- Multi-condition monitoring: Offer various monitoring modes such as visual, text, or code comparison.
- Starting price: $10/mo
- Free trial: Basic free plan
Versionista is a cloud-based website change monitoring tool that helps businesses automate web change audits.
- Change detection: Monitor web pages for HTML, PDFs, and dynamic content changes.
- Color-coded comparison: Visually highlights the differences between two web page versions using different colors.
- Instant email alerts: Offer two types of change alerts: “summary emails” and “instant alerts” (Figure 1). Summary emails are sent every day.
Figure 1: A summary email example provides an overview of changes detected in the monitored pages.
- Auto-crawl: Offer a customizable auto-crawl feature. You can adjust crawl frequency, time, user-agent, and IP address based on your requirements.
- Starting price: $99 / month
- Free trial: Free basic plan (5 URLs)
It is a cloud-based solution that monitors password-protected and public pages and notifies users of change summaries in real-time or at a predetermined time.
- Monitor website changes with ChatGPT: Uses GPT-4 to detect and filter web changes.
- Instant alerts: Notify users of changes instantly or at a scheduled time.
- Multiple change visualizations: Allow users to review web changes with side-by-side HTML comparisons, network activity differences, and screenshot sliders.
- Archive changes: Generate point-in-time archives of entire websites and all changes.
- Website audit changes: Conduct website audits and generates reports using Google Lighthouse, an open-source automated auditing tool.
- Starting price: You need to schedule a demo to discuss pricing options based on your use case.
- Free trial: Free basic plan
Distill is a website monitoring tool that checks websites and monitors changes in web pages (including private pages) and PDFs.
- Cloud and local monitors: Provide two options: a cloud or local monitor for website change monitoring.
- Custom tracking frequency: Offer tracking frequencies ranging from 5 seconds to 30 days.
- Cross-platform: Track website changes across multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and Opera) and devices, including desktop and mobile applications.
- Visual Selector: Enable users to select partial or complete content from web pages for tracking.
- Starting price: $15/month
- Free trial: Free basic plan(25 URLs – 5 in cloud)
Wachete is another website change monitoring solution that tracks text in pdf, doc, docx, xlsx files.
- Monitor password-protected pages: Monitor the password-protected pages for changes and notify users when updates are detected on the monitored web page.
- Archive changes: Store previous versions of web pages for up to 12 months, and provide access to historical data.
- Create RSS feed from the content of web pages: Allow users to create RSS (Rich Site Summary or Really Simple Syndication) feeds from the content of web pages.
- REST API: Provide a REST (Representational State Transfer) infrastructure for third-party partners. Users can use REST API to build a collaborative ecosystem for seamless integration.
- Use proxy servers: Enable the website change monitoring tool to route requests through proxy servers to minimize potential performance issues. The platforms also allow the use of custom proxies.
- Monitor for specific events: Allow users to monitor particular web page parts.
- Starting price: $4.90 (50 pages, 1 dynamic pages)
- Free trial: Free basic plan (5 pages)
ChangeTower is a cloud-based website change detection and archiving solution for businesses. It monitors pages for changes and updates, then archives website changes and version history.
- Keyword alerts: Monitor websites for keyword changes and notifies users when a word or phrase is present or missing.
- Visual page snapshots: Monitor visual page elements to capture a screenshot of a web page when visual changes are detected.
- Code monitoring: Track changes and updates to HTML code to detect unplanned code changes.
- Multi-condition monitoring: Allow users to create customized alert conditions to monitor relevant changes in the website content.
- Multi-user alerts: Allow users to configure notifications to be sent to a single user or an entire team when a change is identified on web content.
- Starting price: $9/month
- Free trial: Free basic plan
Sken.io is a web change monitoring/detection solution that checks websites for product availability, error detection, job offers, and price changes.
- Select elements: Users can choose a specific area or element on a web page. The selected element will be monitored for any changes and updates.
- Browser extensions: Provide Chrome extension that allows users to start monitoring a web page with just a few clicks.
- Cloud monitoring: Store collected data in the cloud.
- Advanced time scheduler: Enable users to set a checking interval so that they can choose the checking frequency and time based on their needs.
- Synchronized with mobile apps: Send email notifications to users’ mobile devices when changes are detected.
- Starting price: $15/month
- Free trial: Free trial for the first 14 days
ContentKing is an SEO auditing and monitoring platform that enables users to audit web pages and identify issues at an early stage.
- SEO auditing: Monitor pages and provide real-time actionable insights into on-page SEO performance.
- Website health check: Track issues on a web page and identify when changes occur to help users improve their website health. You can customize the issue parameters to meet your specific needs.
- Log file analysis: Help users understand when and how often search engines crawl their web pages.
Figure 2: An example of a search engine’s crawl activity history
- Starting price: The pricing model is determined by the page bundle and the plan you choose.
- Free trial: Free trial is available.
Sitechecker is a website monitoring solution that tracks site uptime and downtime and sends users instant alerts when pages become un-indexable in robots.txt and meta tag robots.
- SEO audit: Run a cloud-based web crawler to detect site-level and page-level issues and provide a detailed report of changes.
- Tracking page positions: Measure the impact of website changes and updates on its rankings.
- Archive changes: Store the history of specific events or web page changes.
- Starting price: $39/ month
- Free trial: Free trial for 14 days
Next to Read
Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.